CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Paris For the Weekend!

This weekend, Jon and I met up in Paris to spend some time together. And it was absolutely wonderful!

We both arrived Friday but by the time Jon got to the hotel, it was a little late to do anything too exciting. So in the true French fashion, we went out for a late, late dinner at a nearby Chinese restaurant. Haha. It was quite delicious. Afterwards, we spent some time walking around the Bastille area.

Saturday morning, we woke up early, ate some really delicious breakfast and set out for a day of sightseeing since I've never been to Paris before.

We began at the Eiffel Tower, which was incredible. It was entirely too surreal to be standing next to it. Unfortunately, the skies were kind of overcast making the tower a little less visible, but it was still amazing.


Afterwards, we made our way to the Arc de Triomphe and the Champs-Elysees. Both were really neat. Although, I was kind of surprised by some of the stores we found. In addition to Cartier and Louis Vuitton, there was a Gap, Adidas, and Virgin Megastore. Not quite the upscale stores I was expecting to find, but neat nonetheless. We walked into the Virgin Megastore and I must say-- if the people around me weren't speaking French and everything wasn't written in French, I'd have no idea that we were in an electronics store in France. A majority of the music was American music. Although, that's not much different from the radio here. I hardly ever hear French music and I've discovered that the French absolutely love themselves some Katy Perry. Which I'm certainly not complaining about.


Then we walked down to the Louvre and the surrounding area which was full of gardens. It was really neat to see the Louvre, but we didn't have the time to go in and check things out. I think I might have to make another trip up to Paris sometime to do that. And the surrounding gardens were really neat. They were full of fountains (which unfortunately weren't on) and exquisite statues. We also checked out the Place de la Concorde on the way which has the giant Egyptian obelisk in its center. It's where Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette were beheaded. Which reminds me-- that's one thing I absolutely love about France. Every place you go has some interesting historical value. It feels incredible to think about the things that have happened at the very spot you are standing oh so many years ago. It's so neat. In fact, on a side note, there's an archaeological site called Entremont like 5 minutes up the hill from where I live. Before the Romans took over the area, it's where the Gauls set the roots for Aix so many years ago. I think it's incredible that all these neat historical places are so numerous and accessible.


After the Louvre, we grabbed amazing kebab baguettes (Greek kebab and fries in a French baguette) and Nutella crepes before heading to Notre Dame. It was absolutely beautiful! And we also got to check out the Roman ruins located under the building.

Then we headed back to the hotel to change into nicer clothes and grab dinner. Afterwards, we spent the evening walking around Paris and I even got to see the Eiffel Tower all lit up. So neat!


It truly was a wonderful weekend. I got to spend it with Jon and in Paris so it really couldn't have gotten much better. :D

And of course I have pictures! Clicky here and here!

1 comments:

kelsey said...

carrrrrlyyy!!

please post something new.
i miss you.
laura got engaged in my dream last night, i think we were both working in vegas. (as show girls?)
bright futures for the two of us, obvs.

hahaha.

i love you,
Kelsey